Friday, October 4, 2019

#62 - Let It Bleed: Rolling Stones (1969)


The Stones!  You’ll be seeing more of them here, I can guarantee you that.

This particular cover was by Robert Brownjohn, a graphic artist most famous for typography. He has a handful of other covers, mostly focusing on jazz and type. 



Jagger originally asked artist M. C. Escher to design the cover. Escher declined.

Just in case you were wondering, that’s a film canister, clock dial, pizza, tire, and cake all queued up and ready to play. The back is particularly creative, showing the same view, but after the party was over, I guess.


This one was actually chosen by the Royal Mail for a set of "Classic Album Cover" postage stamps. I couldn’t find any images of such, so I guess they never got around to actually printing any.

The album itself, released in 1969, was firmly set in the band’s blues roots. It’s loaded with hits, including "Gimme Shelter" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

Do I really need to say anything about the Stones here? Fred, Barney … (apologies to Steven Wright).


Like I said before, there will be many more Stones covers here. Here are a couple I like that strongly emphasize the sexual aspect of the band.




The band? Oh, here they are, give or take a couple of years:


Parodies? I have a few, but too few to mention:






<#63                   #61>

No comments:

Post a Comment