Friday, November 29, 2019

#54 - Live Through This: Hole (1994)


Hole was Courtney Love’s band, and also probably the most popular and influential female-fronted group of all time (sorry Go-Gos; hate to break it to you, Bangles). Needless to say, gender issues were a main theme.

Interestingly, though, the band was originally mostly Courtney and some guy, one Eric Erlandson. Over the years, though, the rest of the band really was pretty much all girl power. 


Melissa Auf Der Mar, Courtney, Patty Schemel, Eric

The band name is interesting, isn’t it? Courtney claimed it was from Euripides. Yeah, and all those Georgia O’Keefe flowers are strictly botanical in nature too, right?

Live Through This was the band’s second album. It was something of a departure from the punk noise of their first, Pretty on the Inside. LTT was released just weeks after Kurt Cobain’s suicide (which may, ironically, have helped sales).

The cover photographer was Ellen von Unwerth, with the model being Leilani Bishop. Love explains it as “the look on a woman's face as she's being crowned... this sort of ecstatic, blue eyeliner running, kind of 'I am, I am—I won! I have hemorrhoid cream under my eyes and adhesive tape on my ass, and I had to scratch and claw and fuck my way up, but I won Miss Congeniality!”


Leilani on a slightly different gig

Von Unwerth is actually a rather interesting photographer, with most of her stuff being rather erotically charged (and probably NSFW).





On the other hand, the back cover of the album is probably by Courtney’s mom, and is pretty darn cute:


This parody’s pretty darn cute too:


Von Unwerth had a couple of other good covers (and 145 credits in total):




As did Hole:






<#55                   #53>

No comments:

Post a Comment