Saturday, March 7, 2020

#40 - Island Life: Grace Jones (1985)


I was never a fan, but that is definitely one of the most striking poses ever to grace an album cover.

In ballet, it’s actually called an arabesque. This particular version also happens to be anatomically impossible.  Photographer (and partner) Jean-Paul Goude put together a mash of multiple images to create it.


Goude was mostly an advertising guy, with a stint as the art director at Esquire. He has 33 album credits, including lots of Grace:







Interestingly, his other credits are pretty meh. I do like this one though:   


Model, actress, and singer, Jones just wasn’t my cup of tea. Though I had friends who were fans, she was just too much dance club for my tastes. Honestly, that was the part of the 80s I just didn’t like.

This particular album is an early compilation, kind of a greatest hits for the first nine years of her career. Pretty much every album of Jones’s is striking – probably because they all feature this very striking lady. Here are some from the start of her career that I like:



Parodies?  OMG! Are you kidding?!?!








No comments:

Post a Comment