Friday, March 1, 2019

#93 - Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run (1975)


I usually don’t go for simple portraits of the artist, but there are some that are pretty iconic. I’m also not a big Springsteen fan, but this cover does capture him well, is classically simple, and has some real visual interest.

As for the last bit, notice how Bruce is not looking at the camera and is almost out of the frame. I also like the contrapposto of his body vs. the guitar, with the arm linking the two. I’m sorry. Did I mention that I had an art history minor?

The picture was taken by Eric Meola during a 3-hour, 900-frame photo shoot. 


Meola has not quite 50 albums to his credit, with several more Springsteens: 




There’s some other interesting stuff, mostly for bands I’ve never heard of before.  If you can’t tell, Meola’s pretty well known for his nature and travel stuff.




Don’t know if I need to say much of anything about this Springsteen guy. Or this album – it’s got some real hits on it. In fact, I actually love the title track (though I prefer the Emmylou Harris version).

You will be seeing a couple more of the Boss’s album covers here, including one that is not of him (!?!?).

Indeed, all-Bruce-all-the-time was definitely his preferred pattern (do you think it means he’s vain?). Here are a couple other of that ilk that I like:




The Born to Run cover has become quite iconic, by the way. In fact, parodies (a sure sign of iconic status) have been done by Cheap Trick, Tom and Ray Maggliozi (of Car Talk), and even Sesame Street.




<#94                    #92>

No comments:

Post a Comment