Saturday, April 27, 2019

#85 - Dookie: Green Day (1993)


Green Day are a fun, late/California punk group. I always felt, though, that they really couldn’t make it last. I like their old stuff a lot better. Though they would later go on to much public acclaim (and be inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame), I honestly think Warning was their last really good album.

Dookie was their 1st big hit, going to #2 in the charts, and winning them a Grammy. The title? Yup, it’s what you think it is. Why this is appropriate for an album, is beyond me. I did read some weird stuff about a tour in Mexico or something. The cover was something of a bastard child of Where's Waldo, Go Dog Go, and Sergeant Pepper. So, see if you can find Elvis, AC/DC, and Patti Smith. It was designed by fellow West Coast punk Richie Bucher. 


He did a couple other album covers for Green Day, and was in a number of bands, most notably the Wynona Riders (gotta love it).



The band’s had many notable album covers, including American Idiot, which was designed by Chris Bilheimer


I always liked the one for Nimrod, but probably just because I think they ripped it off from John Baldessari, one of my favorite artists. 



Insomniac really rocks too:


The band was, of course, Tre Cool (nee Frank Edwin Wright III), Billie Joe Armstrong (nee Billie Joe Armstrong), Mike Dirnt (nee Michael Pritchard):


Oddly enough, our brony friends were the only ones who really wanted to send this one up:






<#86                    #84>

No comments:

Post a Comment