Saturday, May 4, 2019

#84 - Can't Buy A Thrill: Steely Dan (1972)


One of my favorite bands. I just love their jazz influences, the incredible production quality, and the sophistication of both their music and lyrics.

This was their debut album, coming out in 1972. The two big hits on it are “Do It Again” and “Reelin’ in the Years,” though – as a huge fan – I pretty much like ‘em all.

The cover was a photomontage by Robert Lockhart, referencing the album title. He’s got over 60 other credits, with stuff for Cher, BB King, the Steve Miller Band, and more. Now, he's also got credits for Don Ho, Peter Pringle, and something called Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band.

Here’s a couple I liked:




There were plenty more, though, that were pretty bad:




I couldn't find anything on the guy. I'm guessing he must have been some studio schlub. Sorry, Bob.

This cover was actually not one of the band’s favorites. They thought it was too 70s. As an old art history minor, though, I actually rather liked the echoes of abstract illusionism (yeah, that was a thing – and it means exactly what it says too).



Not too surprisingly, the band came up with several other great covers, a couple of which almost made it to this blog.




I could never tell who was Steely and who was Dan:


Sadly, Walter Becker (the one on the left) passed away just late last year. That’s Donald Fagen on the right, in case you didn’t already know.




<#85                    #83>

No comments:

Post a Comment